College Basketball Sim
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

General League Rules & Guidelines

+8
Dan M
TylerW
Royce R
Dustin S.
Joe
Onyxgem
Nathan S.
MickeyD
12 posters

Page 6 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

General League Rules & Guidelines - Page 6 Empty Re: General League Rules & Guidelines

Post  TylerW Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:54 pm

Joe wrote:
TylerW wrote:P.S. Trade me Kane Smile

Sorry Tyler, I dont think hes moving. The deal I wanted isnt possible anymore and I just dont want to settle. He'll move... someday Cool

Sad
TylerW
TylerW

Back to top Go down

General League Rules & Guidelines - Page 6 Empty Re: General League Rules & Guidelines

Post  MickeyD Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:43 pm

If I had some more time, I'd be able to outline in detail everything about the points system. Basically everything has a point system. The reason you can't tell is that I added on a random multiplier on to every player that changes the value of pitches on each player. It adds realism to it; as it allows different preferences for different players and makes it so that one team can't stack up. If a person just goes and offers everything to every recruit, then they'd get every single recruit and that would be both unfair and unrealistic. An example of the point system is below:

AD tells the player he'll be the starter his freshman year.

Original Value: 10points
Multiplier: 0.78
Final Value: 7.8points

There is just a tiny example, but it is one of the best I can give you. In the future when your level and prestige change, that will add in another multiplier based on those.

As for the upper echelon players taking longer to sign, I said that the time it takes for the recruit to decide is only reliant upon how many teams are in the "bidding" for him. You say it's unrealistic for those recruits to be signing at this point, then it is certainly just as (or even more so) as a recruit signing after day 1 and you didn't have a problem then or any day since then.

Also, who says how long a "day" is here....It could be a week, 3 days, a month, etc.
MickeyD
MickeyD
Admin

https://collegebasketballsim.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Dan M Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:09 pm

MickeyD wrote:
Also, who says how long a "day" is here....It could be a week, 3 days, a month, etc.

I would guess you would be the one to say that and it should probably be one of those things that is determined.

That's the problem so far. We're really not getting any concrete answers on any of the rules or procedures. Way before conducting a draft you should have had rules discussions and bylaws set up. That way everyone's on even playing ground and we wouldn't have so much confusion.

It may seem trivial to spell everything out but we're all flying by the seat of our pants when it doesn't need to be that way.
Dan M
Dan M

Back to top Go down

Post  Joe Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:13 pm

But if everybody is using the same pitches and promises, who gets the upper hand? How is one promise better than the other? This is the stuff we, as recruiters need to know. If one pitch is higher than the other, than I want to use that instead. I understand everything about prestige and winning, but thats for another season. We need to worry about now. I know Tyler and myself arent the only ones affected, but we have no real guidelines to go off of.

As far as upper echelon guys signing, my problem isnt me signing#20 after day 1 or #105 after day 2. I would just think that the Top 10 wouldnt be gone after day 3. It is a lot more believable that a 20th or 90th ranked guy sign after one day if there is only one team recruiting him. I believ the top 10 all have at least 3 teams recruiting them, therefore it would take longer to decide.

As far as how long a day is, nobody knows. If I only have a day to get my list in, I would have thought it counts as a day. If its longer, great, but we dont know. Like I said we dont have enough guidelines to go off of.
Joe
Joe

Back to top Go down

Post  MickeyD Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:22 pm

In my mind it dosen't matter how long a day is. I said that how long it takes a player to decide is to base it upon. As far as how long it goes, it really dosen't matter. Dates will only matter when it comes down to the season.

If you knew the order of what pitches is worth what, that would be defeating the purpose. You are responsible to find the pitches that work best.

Other than those problems with what you guys have stated, I'm not sure what else I have to spell out. If you have any questions Dan (or anybody else for that matter), I'll be glad to answer them for you.
MickeyD
MickeyD
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Dustin S. Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:53 pm

ok.. i understand that if everyone knows what the value of a pitch was it would defeat the purpose, but we need something.. somehting like... NCAA Football

You pitch an idea to a player, he tells you if he likes it.. from liek least to most, with average and above and below, etc etc, and then u can use that to continue pitching that to a player.. that woudl make the most sense.. but on the flipside. i dont mind offering every player i pitch that they will be a starter for the whole seeason... there needs to be consequences. if that player isnt a starter, or he isnt my "go to guy" (another thing that cant be determined, since i dont think we can set up offenses in this league), then at the seasons end, that player should be like FUCK IT! im leaving, and leave. or leave during the season. or create such a disruption that it messes with the team chemistry and that team goes on a losing streak.

It takes a lot to run this league, and i understand to rush, so we can get into the fun, but alot needed to go into this, and i feel like nothing was fully planned out. I enjoy this, and i assume as soon as this season ends, we will have a long discussion as to handle the next recruiting period, but alot around here needs explanation.

but i'm agreeing with everyone around here.. we need to have some sort of interest bar.. soo we know where we stand with a recruit. and how close we are to the top team. hell, you could even set a signing date. make it 2 weeks from today. all players are signed by then, and all schools have their rosters filled...

i mean, i understand this whole thing is complicated for everyone, including mickey running this.. idk.
Dustin S.
Dustin S.

Back to top Go down

Post  MickeyD Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:17 am

I guess I can start by putting an interest bar in...that shouldn't take too long.

As to the point on the sim, you can choose to "run" offenses in this league, the only thing I can't really create without absolute chaos would be a play-by-play. All other ways that a person would be like a coach are added to the thing: tempo, offense, defense, how many minutes a player gets.

The thing about punishment for making false promises has been taken care of through the level system that Royce brought up (I'm sure you are all mostly aware of it). I guess I can add a transfer thing, where if a player has too many broken promises he'll leave as well.

Trust me guys, this first season is just as big of a pain in the ass for me as it is for you guys.
MickeyD
MickeyD
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Royce R Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:52 am

Look we all know the first recruiting season is a fly by your pants, messed up thing.

I tried to get it slowed down where we could geta more concrete recruiting system set up, that didn't happen so now we need to take all these great ideas into the recruiting thread and make the system perfect so we have no problems next offseason.

Man the idea of a draft if FANTASTIC. That would have been mega fun. I would even vote to lose the recruits I have now and start over with a draft. We could work on the recruiting system while the season goes.

The only problem is we wouldn't have a record of promises/pitches made.
Royce R
Royce R

Back to top Go down

Post  MickeyD Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:09 am

If we do a draft, will someone else be willing to take it over. If anyone is willing to step up to the plate and create a recruiting system for next year...I'd love to hear that as well. If somebody takes care of the recruiting half of everything and is willing to come up with a system that everyone likes and I only have to take care of the simulation...I'd be very greatful.

I have some great ideas on my sim software for you guys and I can't wait to test it out.
MickeyD
MickeyD
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  MickeyD Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:18 pm

I have decided that I can handle the draft, but I'm not sure I'd be willing to handle recruiting if we come up with a complex system. Here's what I propose:

First year: 10 round snake draft, much like a fantasy football or basketball draft.

Every year after that: Draft based on RPI (which I plan to keep track of during the season), the catch here would be that the best teams get the 1st selection...I think this will be more realistic since usually the best recruits go to the best teams.

Just a proposal, but I think it'll work.
MickeyD
MickeyD
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex S Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:27 pm

I think a draft would be a good idea...unless there would be some way to do recruiting. I would favor doing the draft right now, and then if we were able to write a program or something to do recruiting down the road, I would like to do that.
Alex S
Alex S

Back to top Go down

Post  TylerW Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:34 pm

I like the idea of the draft but also something possibly would be switch up the grades for the elite players so not everyone is a freshman the 1st season so we have room to bring in freshman with players that leave.

On your idea with the best team getting the best pick would those be snake drafts or same order throughout?
TylerW
TylerW

Back to top Go down

Post  MickeyD Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:38 pm

We could discuss that, because I don't want to make it too unfair for a team that finishes in last, but I also want the teams that finish atop to have an advantage.

Everybody coming in is going to be a freshman right away, there isn't a way I can change the game up in order to not do that. It would be a good idea, but I just can't physically do it.
MickeyD
MickeyD
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex S Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:43 pm

MickeyD wrote:We could discuss that, because I don't want to make it too unfair for a team that finishes in last, but I also want the teams that finish atop to have an advantage.

Everybody coming in is going to be a freshman right away, there isn't a way I can change the game up in order to not do that. It would be a good idea, but I just can't physically do it.

Is there any way of having some of the top players leaving to go pro or something like that? It would atleast clear up some roster spots.

Plus what about red shirting players, has that been discussed?
Alex S
Alex S

Back to top Go down

Post  MickeyD Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:46 pm

Yes, top players go on to the NBA after a couple of years and may leave early.

You are allowed to red-shirt a player anytime before the season starts.
MickeyD
MickeyD
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Nathan S. Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:02 pm

I'm down with a draft.
Nathan S.
Nathan S.

Back to top Go down

Post  Joe Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:09 pm

MickeyD wrote:I have decided that I can handle the draft, but I'm not sure I'd be willing to handle recruiting if we come up with a complex system. Here's what I propose:

First year: 10 round snake draft, much like a fantasy football or basketball draft.

Every year after that: Draft based on RPI (which I plan to keep track of during the season), the catch here would be that the best teams get the 1st selection...I think this will be more realistic since usually the best recruits go to the best teams.

Just a proposal, but I think it'll work.

I like it!
Joe
Joe

Back to top Go down

Post  MickeyD Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:10 pm

Since noone seems to be against a draft, I randomized a draft order...the question is, when do we begin it.

1. Ft. Lauderdale
2. St. Louis
3. Milton
4. Winner
5. Wichita
6. Newburgh
7. Greensboro
8. Florissant
9. Newton
10. Inglewood
11. Milwaukee
12. Indiana
13. Iowa City
14. Surf City
15. Eugene
16. Delaware Valley

The draft will snake (reverse order in even numbered rounds) and I'll make it like the WLSB draft was this last offseason, making a certain number of picks (I think 4) due everyday.
MickeyD
MickeyD
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Joe Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:14 pm

I say asap! Give the first round guys a 12 hour window, aftyer that they get the best pick available. 2nd round drop the time limit to 6 hrs. I would be mor ethan happy to be the timekeeper and post picks or whatever you need me to do!
Joe
Joe

Back to top Go down

Post  MickeyD Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:17 pm

Joe wrote:I say asap! Give the first round guys a 12 hour window, aftyer that they get the best pick available. 2nd round drop the time limit to 6 hrs. I would be mor ethan happy to be the timekeeper and post picks or whatever you need me to do!
You're in the WLSB right. I'm gonna do it like how Ryan does it over there...If we want to start ASAP, then I'll make the 1st picks due tomorrow.
MickeyD
MickeyD
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Joe Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:21 pm

Its my first year in Wlsb, so Im not sure how he does it. But in hockey, everybody posts there pick when it is there turn. The clock starts over when a pick is made. with everybody posted, you know who is taken and update the draft board accordingly. Then when you have time, the players taken can be taken off the list to avoid confusion. Just an idea! Like I said, I dont know how Ryan does it.
Joe
Joe

Back to top Go down

Post  MickeyD Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:27 pm

Come on, you've been in that league longer than I have. Anyway, it's spelled out for you guys on the top of the Draft Round 1 thread.
MickeyD
MickeyD
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Joe Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:31 pm

Sorry, ahvent paid a lot of attention to baseball with the site being shut down for so long. Anyways, if thats how you want to do it, I have no problem with it. Just trying to offer ideas.
Joe
Joe

Back to top Go down

Post  MickeyD Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:33 pm

Certainly...fair enough
MickeyD
MickeyD
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  MickeyD Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:41 pm

Alex, feel free to send in your pick at any time.
MickeyD
MickeyD
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum